Member Login

Remember Me

Forgotten password?

twitter linkedin


British Automatic
Fire Sprinkler
Association Ltd


T 01887 829428
E info@bafsa.org.uk

Sprinkler Saves & Stops


Hotel : Gateshead : 19 May 2017

Three fire appliances from Tyne & Wear Fire &Rescue Service were called to a fire which occurred at 0541hrs on the morning of Friday 19th May, when a frying pan had been left on an induction hob at a servery in a hotel at the Metro Centre, Gateshead.

The fire alarm activated and the building was safely evacuated. The heat was sufficient however to activate a single sprinkler head above the servery and this extinguished the fire prior to the arrival of the fire crews.

They then proceed to use PPV to ventilate the area and engage in 'salvage' operations to remove water and debris.

The restaurant reopened to customers that evening.

BAFSA with London Fire Brigade will running a seminar focussed on fire protection in hotels on 4th December in London. To register your interest to attend please email marketing@bafsa.org.uk

Factory: Leicester: 4 May 2017

Workers were evacuated from an industrial unit in the early hours of 4th May, due to a fire thought to be caused by an electrical fault. Firefighters were called to a printers in Tollwell Road, in Beaumont Leys, Leicester, at 0200hrs. One appliance from Western Station, one from Birstall and one from Eastern attended. Staff had left the premises by the time firefighters had arrived.

The fire involving three compressors and one electric motor on a mezzanine floor caused severe fire damage.  There was also heavy smoke damage to the first floor and light smoke damage to ground floor of the building. It is reported the fire was out by 0250hrs.

A spokesman for Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said the cause was believed to be accidental due to an electrical fault. They went on to say that "Two breathing apparatus were in use. And the fire was extinguished using hose reel jet and the factory sprinkler system. The electrics were isolated and property ventilated."