Member Login

Remember Me

Forgotten password?

twitter linkedin


British Automatic
Fire Sprinkler
Association Ltd


T 01887 829428
E info@bafsa.org.uk

Sprinkler News


Enter your email address to receive BAFSA news updates in your inbox: 


Sprinkler Save: private house, Tamworth

 

At 01:23 on Friday 31st March, Staffordshire FRS mobilised an appliance from Belgrave to a house fire in Medway, Tamworth. Being close to the border with Warwickshire a second appliance was mobilised from Polesworth.

 

The fire was in the lounge on the ground floor caused by a discarded cigarette, which ignited some paper and a plastic Tupperware container. The property was fitted with working smoke alarms. The occupants were an elderly couple and their 25 year old bed bound disabled grandson who was 25 years old and bedbound. The grandfather who was sleeping upstairs heard the alarm and went downstairs where his wife and grandson were still asleep. He took the grandson outside and then came back for his wifeprior to the arrival of the FRS.

 

In 2014, a tank fed sprinkler system had been retrofitted by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service after collaborative work with stakeholders. A single sidewall sprinkler head activated and extinguished the fire, leaving crews using 2 BA and a hose reel to ‘dribble’ water on the last few embers. All three occupants were taken to hospital by West Midlands Ambulance for precautionary checks.

 

Sprinkler Save : retirement flat, Harrogate

BAFSA member, UK Sprinklers, has reported a sprinkler stop in a retirement flat in Harrogate.

The fire started in a store cupboard when a lithium battery on a bicycle  overheated (it  wasn’t being charged it just overheated).

The door was closed to the store cupboard and the sprinkler in the cupboard activated and supressed the fire.

The fire and rescue service attended to isolate the system and make safe, however the fire was contained in the room of origin and no one was affected by the fire.

Sprinkler Save : storage unit, Chippenham

At 0136hrs on Thursday 16th March 2017, Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call to a commercial unit storing plastics in Chippenham, Wiltshire.  A fire had occurred in a first floor mezzanine level of the building measuring 50x100 metres. Appliances from Chippenham and Corsham attended and found that the fire involved a cage of portable scanners awaiting recycling.

One sprinkler head had activated which extinguished most of the fire. One BA crew with hosereel jet was required to extinguish a remaining small fire. Fire damage was limited to one storage stillage of 1.2x 1.2metres and the fire was extinguished and area ventilated with 30 minutes of arrival.

Cause of fire is believed to be defective batteries within one of the portable scanners. The building was able to return to normal operations the following day.

Sprinkler Save : recycling centre, London

A sprinkler system prevented a serious fire at an industrial recycling warehouse in Kensal Green on 16th March.

Around 15 workers evacuated the building in Scrubs Lane before London Fire Brigade (LFB) attended, after being called 2302hrs

An industrial shredder containing construction waste was completely gutted in the blaze, according to the LFB. The fire was under control by 0206hrs

Park Royal watch manager Dan Green, who was at the scene, said a sprinkler saved further damaged. He added: "The sprinkler system undoubtedly helped contain the fire from spreading further.

"Firefighters also worked extremely hard to create a water relay from a nearby canal which meant we were able to limit damage and bring this under control quicker."

A spokesman for LFB used the fire as an example for other businesses to follow.

They said: "As well as being potentially life saving devices, sprinklers help with business continuity by minimising disruption and allowing businesses to get back to normal as soon as possible."

Sprinkler Save : specialised housing, Stoke on Trent

 

At 0553 on Thursday 16th March, Staffordshire FRS were called to a flat fire persons reported at the Oak Priory, Extracare village. The state of the art building containing 175 flats over 3 storeys was completed two years ago and benefits from having a misting system throughout both the flats and common areas.

 The fire was in the lounge in a second floor, single occupancy flat. The occupier was lead to safety thanks to the alarm system and the quick actions of the staff. A single head of the misting system activated shortly after the occupant had left, containing the fire to an armchair. There was little smoke damage to the lounge and the rest of the flat was left relatively unaffected.

Fire crews attending reported the fire was extinguished and naturally ventilated the flat.

The cause of the fire was accidental.